As a professional, you have a responsibility to keep your skills and knowledge up to date. CPD helps you turn that accountability into a positive opportunity to identify and achieve your own career objectives. CPD is an opportunity to do yourself some good; the nature and scale of the benefit depends entirely on you. The credibility of our profession is based on the willingness of each professional to embrace new skills, knowledge and experience.
To book yourself onto any of the internal CPD activities below, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rise and Shine – Hour sessions held every Wednesday morning for all academic staff on a range of Teaching, Learning and Assessment topics. This is an informal but professional coaching group to problem solve, develop techniques and share strategies.
- Teacher Tech
- External Expertise – Every progression week (the week before a Self-Directed Study Week) there will be a cross college event with an external trainer or speaker. These are intended to bring new ideas and approaches into the College and inspire staff.
- Share Your Skills/Connect Your Curriculum Days – these events are an opportunity for colleagues to discuss ideas with each other and meet people from all over the College to maximise learning, develop innovations and target excellence in classroom practice and the learner experience.
Project based CPD
- Coaching – The Teaching and Learning Coaches are focused on supporting the College’s journey to Outstanding. To do this they are working with colleagues on a one to one basis. Most sections have a designated Coach. Coaching is quite different from mentoring, so our coaches aren’t there just tell you what to do, they will work with you to help you solve problems, share ideas and improve any aspect required of Teaching and Learning… Their aim is to foster an ethos of excellent practice and collegiality.
- Peer Observations – one of the best forms of CPD for teachers! Go and watch a colleague from outside your team – what do they do? What works? What would you do? What will you try?
- Supported Experiments – Once you’ve watched a colleague and they’ve watched you, you can work together to try new things, feedback to each other and assess yourselves.
- Action Research – this is a focussed, in-depth, sustained CPD activity that usually focusses on one area of pedagogy – this could be done individually or as part of a project group.